[geeks] baby stuff

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Fri Jun 28 08:56:55 CDT 2002

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Jennifer Sharp wrote:

> I am truly disturbed now. But the thought does have it's appeal.
> Really, the more I think about having this baby the more I am getting
> into not being in the hospital surrounded by strangers poking me with
> needles. I told my OB that I didn't want an IV and she told me
> basically it was tough shit. When I told her that I wanted James to be
> very involved in the pregnancy and birth ( we had discussed this
> before hand and James WANTS to be involved ) she told me, "I don't
> care either way whether he is there or not." Needless to say I got
> rather pissed.  I really wish I could do a home delivery with people I
> know and trust but I don't think my family would go for it and I am
> really getting tired of fighting with them about my child and what I
> want for him/her.

Perhaps this is a bit obvious, but have you considered finding an OB that
is more willing to consider your wishes (bad or good..my opinion on the
whole homebirth/iv/James witnessing and helping crap is irrelevant and so
is everyone else's besides you and James).

Also, from my point of view, family tends to be a pain in the ass.

Sure, they're excited. I'm sure James' folks are all happy about a
grandbaby and so are yours. They get stupid and start being bossy when
you go against the status quo--probably out of fear and concern more than
anything else. That's relatives for ya.

Case in point, my sister just had her second child. Yippee-fucking-yee-haw,
IMO. During the 9 months previous, she called me numerous times to gloat
(there is no other word for it) over being pregnant, being able to be pregnant,
telling me every detail and saying how it would be just sooo nice
if I could have a child one day, knowing damn well i can't, shouldn't,
and don't want to breed anyhow.

Then she had the gall to ask if I wanted to spend a week or two with her
while I'm visiting my Dad in a few weeks and had even more gall to be
pissy when I told her I couldn't. In reality, I'd rather join the
foreign legion than spend over 3 hours with my sister and listen to her
babycrazy nonsense nagging.

Family politics is why I don't go home but once every blue moon.
Family is why I refuse to live within 1000 miles of my relatives--I don't
like interference in my life.

Gah, sorry...I tink I ranted a bit...

--a