[geeks] FBI vs. bandwidth thieves

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Jun 27 17:28:52 CDT 2002

[ On Thursday, June 27, 2002 at 17:44:34 (-0400), Kurt Huhn wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] FBI vs. bandwidth thieves
>
> I stand corrected - with one qualification - mine doesn't.  It's pure digital
> all the way back to the other end.  I was under the assumption that all were
> these days.  I had to swap out my l'il black box a couple years ago so that Cox
> could implemnt the digital services...

Of course it's "digital"!  It transmits and receives binary signals for
god's sake!  That's all "digital" means in this context.  It was digital
before the swap-out and digital afterwards, though maybe it was using
proprietary signalling before and now is using DOCSIS standard
signalling or some such difference.

BUT, so long as it's running on coax in any part of the plant (and it
almost certainly is for the "last mile" to the demark at your house,
which is why it's called a hybrid fibre coax network), your modem is
also a broadband carrier based transceiver -- after all it's sharing the
same medium for a whole pile of TV signals, some being digital TV
signals and probably the majority still being analog TV signals.

--
								Greg A. Woods