[geeks] HVAC extreme

Beth Roberts beth at bethroberts.com
Thu Jun 27 17:17:46 CDT 2002

Have any of you seen the movie "Hands on a Hard Body"? It's a documentary
about people competing to win a free pickup truck by standing next to it and
holding at least one hand on it at all times. Great movie...

But anyway, in the movie, the spouse of one of the contestants is
interviewed about his air conditioning system, which is Truly Immense. I
can't remember the numbers, but he bought it from a Kmart or something that
was going out of business, as I recall. And he installed this puppy to work
on a normal-sized house (or perhaps even a mobile home).

They asked him how cold he could get it when he cranked it up, and it was
some frightening number of degrees below zero.

Apologies for the vagueness of this anecdote, it's been awhile since I saw
the movie so I can't remember the exact figures. I can research it if you
berate me enough, though. :)

-Beth