[geeks] Re: um, hi. I'm new.

Beth Roberts beth at bethroberts.com
Thu Jun 27 17:08:01 CDT 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Nine cats!  That rocks.  Welcome to the gang!

Thanks! :) I realize nine cats sounds insane, so here's the rundown:

In the master bedroom, we have:
- one feral momma cat (not yet fixed, but will be spayed before we release
her)
- her latest litter (four babies, about nine weeks old, not yet fixed)
- her two spayed daughters from the previous litter

In & out of the house at will, we have:
- one neutered male from a litter last year, hand-raised after being
abandoned
- one spayed female who waltzed in and declared this place her home

There's a huge feral cat problem around here. We put out food for them every
day. We intend to systematically trap, fix, and release them, but we've been
short on cash for awhile so that part of the program is on hold. Hopefully,
eventually the numbers will stabilize around here.

We name them all and watch their nightly antics via our barncam system
(snapshots are taken when movement is detected). Recently, my SO David added
pan & tilt capability to the main barn camera so we can follow the critters
onscreen when we're watching live. He's also working on a web-based photo
album, http://www.dea42.net/pics_html/index.html .

Someday I hope to have chickens and goats, too, which should make life
*really* interesting...

-Beth