[geeks] Yes, it works!

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jun 27 16:12:38 CDT 2002

Kris Kirby wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > Whatever you do, resist the urge to build it out if MDF.  My gracious that suff
> > is heavy!  I made the mistake of building a couple things out of that stuff
> > before switching to 1/2" Luann.  Now I've decided that they're probably going
> > to stay with the house...
> >
> > Speaker cabinets are ideal projects to use MDF on though, I just wish it wasn't
> > so damn heavy...
>
> Please explain what MDF is; I'm considering building boxes for my Bass and
> building or buying an amp.

Medium Density Fiberboard.  Think "really friggin thick cardboard".  The stuff
is very dense, won't warp, won't shrink, and can easily be made airtight.  It's
also *extremely* strong do the the nature of fibers that overlap and
criss-cross.  It's nature makes it extremly well-suited to speaker boxes,
especially sub enclosures.
--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie Monster