[geeks] Win2k DNS issue - help!

Bruce Pullig bpullig at houston.oilfield.slb.com
Thu Jun 27 11:18:00 CDT 2002

My favorite line for quite some time was, "I'm Sun and Microsoft certified,
so I feel I'm qualified to say that Windows is not the best option."  If
someone is a "UNIX" or "Windows" guy, then managers are prone to believe he
is biased, or out to protect his domain.   Management feels I can be
objective because I've taken the time to learn both.

My second favorite line is, "I've been an NT/2000, NetWare, and UNIX
(Solaris, AIX, IRIX, Linux) admin and the systems that got me out of bed at
3:00am the least were UNIX.  That's why I don't want to be a Windows
Admin.  I like reliable systems.   I like to sleep all night long!"

I no longer deal with Windows!   I'm much happier.   Hey, perhaps that
could be my third favorite line.

At 10:00 AM 6/27/2002, you wrote:
>Message: 3
>Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:53:15 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Kurt Mosiejczuk <kurt at csh.rit.edu>
>To: <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Win2k DNS issue - help!
>
>On 27 Jun 2002, Chris Hedemark wrote:
>
> > I'll do you one better.
>
> > Learn Windows and UNIX.  I'm making a nice living replacing Windows
> > systems with UNIX systems.  People who know just one or the other
> > wouldn't be in such a lucrative position.
>
>This is an incredibly smart thing to say.  It sounds like a "know
>your enemy thing", but it really rings true.  If you know windows
>well, then you can also know how to replace it.  You know what it
>does, so then you can know what products do the same...
>
>I like it.

   Bruce Pullig
   Senior Systems Administrator
   Schlumberger Information Solutions
   Data Management Center
   5444 Westheimer, Suite 800, Houston, TX 77056
   Phone: 713.350.4217  Fax: 713.350.4102
   bpullig at slb.com