[geeks] Re: [rescue] my new sig

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jun 27 10:15:10 CDT 2002

Mark Seamans wrote:

> > Did I miss something?  Have a link to a news story?
>
> http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/3552271.htm

IANAPoliticalAnalyst, also IANALawyer.  However, I recall some writings from
some time ago that qualified "seperation of church and state" to mean that "the
government shall not promote any particular religion, or show preference for
any particular religion, or establish a governmental religion" not that "the
governament shall seperate itself completely and totally from *all* religion".
It's all a matter of interpretation, and finding a freindly enough court to
hear your argument.

Frankly, I don't think that the point is that the Pledge of Allegiance is
unconstitutional, but rather that forcing people to participate/recite is.  In
that vein, I think the author of the story linked above above got it all wrong.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.  If we're going to start
The Next Flamewar over this, we should move to geeks at ...
--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie Monster