[geeks] um, hi. I'm new.

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Thu Jun 27 09:26:19 CDT 2002

> I am not looking for a medal. I do not expect geek points for having
> a weblog. I don't use blog because it is a 'cutesy term' but because
> it is simple and easier to write. I will simply say that a saying, a
> word or an idea has to start somewhere. At one point the net was as
> foreign to everyone as weblogs are now. Same with mail lists.
> Everything has to start somewhere, and I know you find it annoying,
> but I prefer the term blog to weblog.
>

> Dwight Wallbridge,

	First off I want to point something out. Weblogs are not new. Not
one teeny tiny bit, matter of fact they were the first use of the static
internet (E-mail being considered dynamic in this context). That was what a
plan file and the MOTD file were for. .plan was used, and still is by some
fairly famous people, to get their daily ideas out. Blogging is not only not
new it is not even fresh still. That was the whole point of BBS really.
	Now another rant, not directed at you I must say, but you will get
used as an example, Who the hell told all these frigin bloggers that ANYONE
give a rats ass what they have to say about anything? Silence is golden, not
because we want things quite but because humans as a whole have a very low
noise to signal swamp threshold. This is why people turn down the radio in
the car while trying to read a sign on the road. Nothing is more annoying
than trying to get a little research done and having to wade through a bunch
of half educated morons ramblings about something they have no real idea
about while looking for real content.
	Blogging is the educational ideal of an infinite amount of monkeys
with typewriters and an infinite amount of time will produce the complete
works of Douglas Adams. The problem is you would never find it in the
infinite amount of paper generated. Your statement of a word or idea must
start somewhere is ideally correct but blogging makes this less likely to
happen not more. The amount of crap one has to go through to get that word
makes that word meaningless when it is found.
	This, of course, annoys geeks to absolutely no end. Geeks are about
doing, not saying. To quote the Latin "Facta, non verba".. If we wanted to
say all day we would be sales people or marketers, not geeks. We like
computers because the signal to noise ratio is low. Bloggers on the other
hand spend their time just generating noise with very little signal, then
when they are done they spend more noise telling each other how well they
generated noise. Bloggers, at least in my world, are a step below web
developers in Geek usefulness. I lump them together because anyone can claim
they are either. The difference is that their are talented web developers
who have mad skills. Their are no bloggers in that category. I am just
scared of the day that I see a resume where someone uses that as a reference
to prove their talent.
	Then WTF do I know? I think I just blogged "back in my day we called
it a rant sunny" and I am embarrassed by it. I wonder if they make a blog
version of depends to stop this kind of stuff. A final note, blog get's
spell checked as bog and I have a funny feeling that may closer to the truth
that most people would want to admit.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer
WHRO