[geeks] Palladium

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jun 27 09:09:13 CDT 2002

Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Microsoft wants the hardware to be redesigned to guaranty OS
> security.  I wonder how they think they are really going to pull that
> off?  Not the getting the hardware to cooperate, but being really
> secure, in this age when it is relatively easy to do bus taps (see the
> article on breaking the XBox security) and disect chips (and hey, we
> happen to know someone with a SEM that would probably be just perfect
> for the job) to get the authentication codes that were hardwired into
> the machine?

Yup, and when you talk about how lax the security in stuff like this is, people
look at you like you're some kind of l33t h4x0r.  It's not all that
complicated, really.  A little research, and some examples to play with, is all
it would take to bust that 'security' wide open.  Really, it's not nuclear
physi...oh wait...
--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie Monster