[geeks] Palladium

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jun 27 08:55:43 CDT 2002

Microsoft wants the hardware to be redesigned to guaranty OS
security.  I wonder how they think they are really going to pull that
off?  Not the getting the hardware to cooperate, but being really
secure, in this age when it is relatively easy to do bus taps (see the
article on breaking the XBox security) and disect chips (and hey, we
happen to know someone with a SEM that would probably be just perfect
for the job) to get the authentication codes that were hardwired into
the machine?

Whenever things like this come up, I wish that those PPC board derived
from the IBM design would fall in price a lot so that the populace
would have someplace safe to go.  So far the cheapest board I've seen
was still more than the cost of an octane.

--
Joshua D. Boyd