[geeks] The One True Rant (was: um, hi. I'm new.)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 26 17:36:23 CDT 2002

On June 26, Jennifer Sharp wrote:
> >  The question begs asking: If this were what YOU have devoted your
> >entire life to, wouldn't you take it seriously?
>
> Actually, Dave, you are right. I have devoted my life to my family and I do
> take it seriously and I would kill to defend/protect them. However, I do not
> disagree with other people's lifestyle choices. To each his/her own. If
> someone thinks it's cool to have an 'open' relationship that is up to them.
> It doesn't work for me and I will not participate in such a venture. Just
> like if someone decides to use Windoze, I don't really give a crap because I
> am running some "BETTEROS(TM)" on my machine. You get my drift?  It seems
> kind of silly to me to rant at someone because they make different choices
> from you. Rant that you don't like the product but not because _they_ like
> or dislike it. The sooner you realize that the only person you have control
> over is yourself the better off you will be. But that's my little
> non-geekified rant. Ahem. I didn't mean to offend anyone and I didn't mean
> to overstep my bounds but I thought I should explain myself. Thanks.

  (bounds?  what bounds? ;))

  This is not the issue.  I couldn't care less what other people do for
themselves, and I'm _quite_ aware that I'm the only person over whom I
have any control.  The problem comes from the fact that what these
people buy into (and sell to their bosses) affects what happens in the
industry, and by extension, to the science of computing.  THAT is what
I care about...and THAT is what these morons are ruining when they run
around selling poor technology (i.e. PeeCees) to people who don't know
any better...teaching them that, for example, they need to reboot
their machines a several times a day "because that's just the way
computers are".  They give the whole field a bad name.

  THAT is what I care about...because this field means a lot to me.
Understand what I mean?

         -Dave