[geeks] Working Music vs Thinking Music

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jun 25 10:17:12 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 11:04:30AM -0400, Tim H. wrote:
> Actually, one of the problems with CD sound from a lot of the classical
> music companies early in CD days was the quality of the vinyl work they
> did.  The engineers just thought in the proper EQ for vinyl, which is
> adjusted to correct for the distortion caused by the playback method.
> When these guys started mastering CDs they had trouble adjusting to the
> "no-EQ-required" method of recording.  And since the quality classical
> sources, like D.Gram. were early adopters of digital, they were the ones
> that got to learn the hard way.

I'd have to check, I believe my few D.Gram CDs are new recordings done
in the late 90s or later.

> Of course some of them were already doing digital recording also, well
> ahead of standards and distribution methods.  Telarc did the 1812
> Overture digital in like '71, then cut an analog master and pressed the
> LP, then years later, when CDs came out, they released a CD from the
> same digital recording.  I grew up on the LP (wore it out actually) now
> I have the CD.  Gotta love those cannons!

Classical was still really pushing the bounds of digital recording in
the late 90s to my understanding.  At least, 24/96 seemed to be taken
for granted by them long before it was standard elsewhere.

I personally dislike the 1812 overature, especially the cannons.
Every sunday before the 4th of July I'm a quiver mass on the blanket
covering my ears through that song wishing they would get it over with
and move on to stars and stripes.  Actually, I'm not that bad about
it.... Any more.

--
Joshua D. Boyd