[geeks] Working Music vs Thinking Music

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Tue Jun 25 10:04:30 CDT 2002

Actually, one of the problems with CD sound from a lot of the classical
music companies early in CD days was the quality of the vinyl work they
did.  The engineers just thought in the proper EQ for vinyl, which is
adjusted to correct for the distortion caused by the playback method.
When these guys started mastering CDs they had trouble adjusting to the
"no-EQ-required" method of recording.  And since the quality classical
sources, like D.Gram. were early adopters of digital, they were the ones
that got to learn the hard way.

Of course some of them were already doing digital recording also, well
ahead of standards and distribution methods.  Telarc did the 1812
Overture digital in like '71, then cut an analog master and pressed the
LP, then years later, when CDs came out, they released a CD from the
same digital recording.  I grew up on the LP (wore it out actually) now
I have the CD.  Gotta love those cannons!

If I remember the liner notes right they broke some windows when they
recorded the cannons.  I think it was in Boston.

Tim