[geeks] Work

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Thu Jun 20 10:07:45 CDT 2002

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> It really depends.  I suspect part of Bill and Amy's expense is (I'd
> imagine) they are going for a very efficient unit.  Living in Texas,
> a more efficient unit will more than pay for itself.  I live in the
> northeast (Rochester, NY), and the difference in price would take
> quite a while to be made up.

It ended up being 5400. Bear in mind the cost is for the condenser
outside (14 seer, fairly efficient, lennox midrange I think), the furnace
unit/blower whatchamacallit on the inside (the furnace part won't
ever be used), 3 inches of insulation across the attic and solar
screens across the house as well. Also some minor duct repair work
from where a raccoon took up residence and had some sort of party up
there. And of course, all accompanying electrical/construction repair or
upgrade work is also included in that bid--not a small amount.

I'm of the mind that we got lucky. I expected the cost to be much, much
worse, considering the season we're doing the work in and the state of the
house itself...at some point one of the people who lived here decided to
DIY the wrong way so there's a lot of stuff that needs to be disconnected
and dismantled.

The house itself is a complete energy dog from hell. It faces south,
has lots of windows, and its only redeeming factor is that it's faced almost
entirely in rock (decent insulator here from the heat). We didn't want to
spend too much on this HVAC thing 'cause more than likely we'll be moving
two years from now anyone to one destination or another.

--a