[geeks] Work

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Jun 20 09:18:29 CDT 2002

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Amy wrote:

> we're replacing our entire system for around 6000. i assume that
> retrofitting any house that doesnt have existing ductwork to be much, much
> more.

It really depends.  I suspect part of Bill and Amy's expense is (I'd
imagine) they are going for a very efficient unit.  Living in Texas,
a more efficient unit will more than pay for itself.  I live in the
northeast (Rochester, NY), and the difference in price would take
quite a while to be made up.

Our landlord is looking at putting in central air in our house, we'll
be picking up part of the cost to get him to do so (he's agreeing
to not increase our rent and we have right of refusal to buy the house).
We already have the duct work in the house and a furnace that's ready
for central air.  The AC will only cost us $3000.  Sortof =)

Our house only has 100 amp service with 200-300 amps worth of breakers.
It's way under-powered.  Whenever the washer or dishwasher kicks on,
the lights in the house dim.  Oh, and did I mention we have a jacuzzi
tub?  Right.  We need a service upgrade.  So, more money for AC =)

So, someone in the northeast, depending on if you have the ductwork
and how big your house is, it could be as little as $2500...  the
biggest thing I've found is have lots of people out for estimates.

--Kurt