[geeks] Disney going to HP Linux for animation

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Tue Jun 18 22:26:08 CDT 2002

> I can't find anything about the 'Blade 1000, looks like Sun has
> discontinued it or something.  It's not on the main Sun site, or in
> store.sun.com.  Interestingly, Ultra-60 and Ultra-80 are still for
> sale...

yeah i misspoke, i meant the sb2k.

> Anyway, the aformentioned Ultra-60s are still viable workstations, IMO.
> Dual proc, shitpiles of RAM, and an all-around excellent system - most
> configs priced under $10k.  The 'Blade 100 is also a viable workstation,
> IMO.  Perhaps not for huge amounts of data visualization or modeling,
> but viable nonetheless.

i thought the sb100 was not for sale anymore? anyhow, the sb1k is
probably too much machine for me. what i had been using was a dual cpu
(300) ultra2. for most things i do with the machine, thats exactly what
i need. the sb2k is way overkill, as is an ultra60 or ultra80. i'd
really like to see a machine similar to the ultra2 offered as a midrange
machine from sun. price it at $3000-$5000, put a nice-ish video card
(sheesh, i was using cgsix), 2 cpu's and internal scsi with decent
expansion. at the moment i'm trying to see if we can start buying reman
sun machines as desktops for our admins (who are all using old hardware
and need new desktops). if we cant swing that we may wind up buying a
whole flock of naturebooks.

alex