[geeks] Disney going to HP Linux for animation

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Jun 18 22:04:46 CDT 2002

alex j avriette wrote:

> > Personally I dont' know how the could do a low-end MIPS workstation and
> > be found uncredible - Sun has managed to pull it off nicely with Sparc.
> > As long as they match performance with Sun's efforts at the $5k price
> > point, they'll be okay.
>
> I was just checking out sun boxen because $job is buying me one. There
> is the sb1000, and then there are the sunrays. there is really nothing
> sub $10,000 that i'd call a workstation at Sun anymore.

I can't find anything about the 'Blade 1000, looks like Sun has
discontinued it or something.  It's not on the main Sun site, or in
store.sun.com.  Interestingly, Ultra-60 and Ultra-80 are still for
sale...

Anyway, the aformentioned Ultra-60s are still viable workstations, IMO.
Dual proc, shitpiles of RAM, and an all-around excellent system - most
configs priced under $10k.  The 'Blade 100 is also a viable workstation,
IMO.  Perhaps not for huge amounts of data visualization or modeling,
but viable nonetheless.
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com