[geeks] combatting smokers

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue Jun 18 18:41:09 CDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Amy wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, James Lockwood wrote:
>
> > I'm of two minds on this.
>
> <snip>
>
> In the interests of peace and tranquility, it's probably a really good
> idea that we stick to helping Alex solve his little problem and not trade
> "I hate smokers and here's why and what should happen" war stories.

Ad hominem conclusion, this is orthogonal to the statements that I made.
I'm genuinely curious as to how you came up with your interpretation.

I am worried that smokers rights will get progressively trampled as has
happened with many other activities that "society" disapproves of.

For an example of how this is relevant to the computing/geek world as a
whole you have to look no farther than 60 miles off of the coast of the
United States, to a heavily populated island where buying a computer, fax
machine or photocopier requires a government-issued permit.  Giving up a
little freedom for perceived security is far too easy, and the slope will
only get slipperier.

As for the original poster, I recommend a durian fruit and a squirrel-cage
blower pointing up the hood.  Even if it doesn't fix the problem it will
probably make you feel a bit better.  :)

-James