[geeks] Tools (Was Adventure in A/C)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jun 18 09:27:03 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 10:20:23AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Good luck.  The large and expensive power tools are always a hard sell.
> I'm still fighting for a lathe so that I can turn chair/table legs.  I
> don't see it in the budget for a very long time...

Have you tried keeping an eye on estate auctions and such?

It probably wouldn't even be that hard to build one.  I'm thinking of
my father's lathe, and it consists of 3 pipes and 3 cast iron pieces.
One is a tool rest (or whatever it is called where you actually work),
one holds one end of the wood, and the other one holds the motor...
Or was this a belt driven unit meant to be driven by a not included
motor...  Well, I'd have to look to remeber which way it is (but it is
buried in his shop that has never really been properly set up since we
moved 1.5 years ago) , but I can't imagine that that unit would really
cost so much, especially used at something like an estate sale.

--
Joshua D. Boyd