[geeks] Disney going to HP Linux for animation

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jun 18 09:21:52 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 07:02:31AM -0500, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:
> Just thought several here would find this article interesting. It seems
> that Disney is planning to replace it's Irix workstations with HP
> workstations running Linux.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/18/technology/18LINU.html

It probably isn't the worst idea, at least for the painters.  I'm
generally disappointed when I hear of effects and animation people
switching, but when it comes to cell animation, they probably don't
really loose much other than their dignity.

It's not like rythem & hues who is giving up anyway of seeing exactly
what the colors used are short of printing to film since with linux
the best they will get is 10bit previews to HD-SDI cards as opposed to
the 16bit color (matching their 16bit workspace) they had on the
Octanes.

--
Joshua D. Boyd