[geeks] Disney going to HP Linux for animation

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jun 18 08:58:07 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 01:50:28PM +0000, Kris Kirby wrote:

> It occurs to me that Josh would be the one to know; does anyone have an X
> enviroment with OpenGL for the Wildcat? See, I live in the city that is
> Intergraph's home base, and the same place where thier manufacturing is.
> Several boards that were thrown out as scrap have been rebuilt and sold at
> a reduced price by The Right People and made thier way around....

http://www.xig.com/Pages/Atop/CardIndividualSupportSpec/3Dlabs-IndividualCards/WildcatIII-6110.html

Only the 5000s and 6000s are supported, and the driver will set you
back $300.  It supports pretty much all the cards features (the 6210
has extra features that are yet supported), but I don't know how well
it will play with all the X extensions that modern linux multimedia
applications expect (like XVideo etc), nor do I know how well it plays
with Wacom tablets.

Bet, they are just about the fastest graphics on linux (I've never
seen a performance comparison against them and the FX-10).

--
Joshua D. Boyd