[geeks] Disney going to HP Linux for animation

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Tue Jun 18 08:50:28 CDT 2002

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> When it comes to porting you software to linux, if you have taken as
> much advantage of the SGI as you could, you will either have to
> drasticly rewrite your software to get rid of expected OpenGL
> features, or you have to get either a Wildcat 6000 or an HP machine
> (or perhaps a FireGL 2 or FireGL 8800).  With the Wildcat, you have to
> deal with Compaq, Metro (or was it Xi...), and 3D Labs, and 3DLabs
> apparently has no interest in helping you.  With HP, the supply the
> machine, the graphics card, and the XServer, which is a pretty strong
> argument for going with HP when you need a good graphics solution.

It occurs to me that Josh would be the one to know; does anyone have an X
enviroment with OpenGL for the Wildcat? See, I live in the city that is
Intergraph's home base, and the same place where thier manufacturing is.
Several boards that were thrown out as scrap have been rebuilt and sold at
a reduced price by The Right People and made thier way around....