[geeks] Tools (Was Adventure in A/C)

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Mon Jun 17 17:41:45 CDT 2002

packrat!
I identify completely with the thought, but I haven't managed to limit
it to tools.  (yep, I even keep the useless stamped wrench that comes
with the $20 office chair at walmart)  I have a stupendous collection of
miscellaneous computer related junk, but as soon as I get rid of
something I know I'll need it.

One of the best packrat stories I have relates to an Osborne computer I
own.  I was dating this girl who was cleaning out an office at her
college, and in a cupboard found this little plastic thingummy with a
wire attached.  Being totally untechnical, but rather smart, instead of
throwing it in the trash, she brought it home.  Now my osborne has a
modem that fits in the floppy storage slot on the left side.  What are
the chances of:
a) An Osborne modem that isn't in an Osborne
b) A person who didn't know what (a) was that didn't just throw it out
c) (b) who actually took it home
d) (b) who just happened to be dating one of about 4 people in the state
who would have recognized (a)
e) boyfriend from (d) who actually owned an Osborne

Of course the Osborne is as close to useless as a computer can get (I
don't think even Dave M. will argue that) but that in no way influences
my desire to keep it, or the coolness of acquiring a modem out of the
blue for it.

I also don't think I have ever relinquished ownership of a book, in fact
my sister and I spent our growing up years stealing books from each
other, since we both have a fascination with novels from  < 1930, and
with Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Radio Boys, Boy Scouts, Rick Brandt, Tom
Swift, Go Ahead boys, and other juvenile series, actually, with all
books, 'cause my dad giving her an 18xx edition of Dickens
_Old_Curiosity_Shop was a point of contention until she very kindly
bought me a nice little Nelson edition in a slip box while she was in
England.

I also have every National Geographic from 1940 til the late '80s, when
I let my subscription run out, and actually have bits and pieces from
1919-1940 as well.

I then married someone who will throw out anything she hasn't used in
the last month.  Talk about culture shock.  She has learned to just
stick my stuff in my computer room, and I have learned to quit rescuing
her stuff from the trash, but we have never managed to identify with the
opposing point of view :-)

Tim