[geeks] Tools (Was Adventure in A/C)

James Rice jrice at texoma.net
Mon Jun 17 06:46:37 CDT 2002

Snap-On cabinets (or Craftsman clones) are a cool solution until they
become part of the problen.  I started out with one, now there are three
of them in my garage.  One is a big mother, 6 ft tall and 8 ft wide; one
is a tall three section one (base, middle and to chest).  Get one fill
it up, when it gets too heavy to roll, get another, goto beginning and
start again.  The last time I moved, it took three people to roll each
of my tool boxes into the moving truck, and it had a liftgate. A point
ot remember.  Always buy good tool chests with ball bearing slides.

My wife got tired of looking at the red metal Craftsman cabinet in my
upstairs office.  She said it was too "industrial", as if  21 monitors
and lots of boxes wasn't  "industrial".  So, for  Christmas this year,
she bought me a very  "pretty" varnished hardwood  two section tool
chest for my office.  Very "furniture" looking.  I moved my Olympus
cameras,  lenses and motor drives as well as my computer and camera
repair tools into it.  I will admit, it does look a lot better than red
painted metal.

I've always had a tool fetish.  My dad is a wholesale tool dealer.  My
got my first tool box when I was 4.  One day, when I was about 6, my
father came home to find his brand new, unused Lawn Boy mower totally
dismantled, down to the bare block.  He was not pleased.  I never get
rid of a tool.  I still have special tools and service manuals for my
Honda 100 that I had as a teen ager, for the AMC Javelin from the '70's,
my 1974 Triumph Bonneville timing plug  and from my 1962 FIAT spider.
 All of these have been gone a really long time, but I can bring myself
to get rid of the tools. You never know when you might find a fellow
1962 FIAT driver in need of a front suspension bushing press tool.