[geeks] Is it too much to be pissed...

Bryan Fullerton bryanf at samurai.com
Mon Jun 17 14:20:50 CDT 2002

On Monday, June 17, 2002, at 10:57 AM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 10:01:15AM -0500, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
>> Everyone here names their own machines, which makes for some weird
>> names....
>
> Here we have:
>
> $greek_gods

Argh, at $CONSULTING_GIG they did that for production machines - all the
admins were arguing for names that described the function of the
machine, but the manager of operations only let them pick from two
options he considered "cool" - Greek gods or famous guitar players. Now
you need a legend to remember that, for example, zeus does database and
atlas does java.

My samurai.com machines are named almost entirely randomly, which I
suppose would be annoying for someone else trying to figure them out. I
almost named one of them scrapple, but then decided I might not want to
explain to customers why they were seeing that in mail headers. ;)

Bryan