[geeks] adventures in air conditioning

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jun 17 10:42:50 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 11:24:50AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> I think I'll setup SGIQuake today if I get a chance.  Anyone run it on
> an O2 R5k lately?  I recall someone saying that an Octane, sans TRAM,
> sucked pretty hard.

I think it might be good on an O2, but I haven't tried it.

That bit about Octanes sucking at quake w/o TRAM really bothers me.  I
understand why it happens, but I'd think a pretty impressive quake
like game could be down without texturing at all, and if the Octane
happens to be capable of doing a small amount of texturing (like say
prerendered to small buffers with z buffer, then do a zbuffer
composite into the scene as needed), all the better.

I need to get back to my work on OS fighter.  I still haven't come up
with a decent icon character for SGI (like linux has tux, and BSD has
the damon, and MS has Billy G. and Apple has Stevey J. etc).

The hardest part is finding time on an appropriate machine for
modelling and animating.  Blender never felt right.  I have a little
work done already in 3DS Max, and a little done in SoftImage, but
unless I suddenly come up with $1500 that work will have to be trashed
since I no longer have access to softimage.

Side question:  What joy pad type thing works well with linux and irix?

--
Joshua D. Boyd