[geeks] New Spam Disclaimer

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Sun Jun 16 12:31:27 CDT 2002

scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net writes:

>On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 dave at cca.org wrote:
>> a. ISPs start enabling spamassassin (or equivelent) by default.
>> 	When AOL does this, it initiates an "arms race" obviously,
>> 	with spammers testing their attacks on spamassassin, but
>> 	nevertheless, the filters will win.

>The only problem with spamassassin that I've seen is that while yes, it
>does block 99% of spam, it also occasionally gets 2% of valid email
>that goes through. So it can't be blocked at the ISP level.

True.

That's probably why the few ISPs that do have it, have it as
an option, and defaults to "off".

However - there are conservative settings for spamassassin, and
I'm sure you could configure it to be safe, though not as effective.
(Then users can decide to shut it off, or set it to more aggressive,
deciding on their own to take that risk.)

What amazes me is that all mailer readers don't default to having a
"trusted" inbox which uses your address book as a white list.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
----- Being poked in the eye with a sharp stick makes baby jesus cry! -----