[geeks] Where to find the Netra Open Boot Prom Update

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri Jun 14 08:22:14 CDT 2002

> *spit* The last netra T105 I helped got me pulled over the coals by Much
> Higher Ups who critqued by every my move and administration style.

Fucking micro-managers.  Why can't sysadmins be left alone to do their
job?  It should be a reasonable assumption that, when hiring a sysadmin,
you're hiring them because they were the best you could find at a given
salary - right?  LEAVE US ALONE AND LET US DO OUR JOB!!!

> Granted it wasn't my *job* to do so, but I was fresh in the shop, had no
> orders per se, and the last admin wasted a week (40 hours) trying to do
> what I did in less. BOO-YA! (Really doesn't help that I demonstrated the
> ability to break into a machine^W^W^W^Wrecover a lost root password.)

Oooooh, I always keep the 'I can hack your systems in 30 seconds flat'
demonstrations hedged for much later.  I like to do it when nobody is
around, get the machine working right, and just explain it as 'I am a
sysadmin, it's my job to make it work, that is all'.  If they persist in
wanting to know *how* it was done, I'll respond with something along the
lines of 'there are dark magicks here...' or 'the force is strong in
this one'.  Appear aloof, yet available...

Ugh, sounds like dating doesn't it...

Give 'em the 'WOW' factor, but don't ever demonstrate how you did it -
if at all possible.
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com