[geeks] woot! Score!!

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Fri Jun 14 02:58:51 CDT 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> My current axles have 3.55 gears, and with 32" tires the Ram really bogs
> at low RPM.  The largest I can go in stock axles (Chrysler 9.25" rear
> and Dana 40 front) is 4.11.  4.56 gears require new carriers - so I was
> going to settle for 4.11s.  Then this deal comes along, now all I have
> to do is drop the existing axles, bolt on the new ones, and drive away.

This reminds me of a quandry I've been contemplating. When I get my
Caprice, it may have 2.29(?) 2.99, 3.51 or 4.10 gears in it. I'm really
thinking of swapping whatever it has for the lowest I can get so that my
gas mileage will be the best I can get for the car. I'm also planning on
swapping the auto tranny for a stick ('vette T56 6-speed) so I can get
even better gas mileagle.

Kinda silly to do such a thing to a `high performance' car [down alex!
;-)] but I keep telling myself I'm doing it so I can have a car that
cruises at 90 MPH with ease. I'm also wondering if that will allow the
vehicle to have a higher top speed (god forbid anyone go hurtling down the
road in a 4500 lb. car at 180[1]).

[1]: Hello, suicide hotline?