PRIVATE: Re: [geeks] Glad I don't live in Texas!

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Wed Jun 12 23:16:29 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 06:04 PM, Eric Dittman wrote:

>> Totally true, I have grouped myself.  For me, it was more a long
>> process
>> of discovering what I believed, and then accidentally discovering that
>> Buddhist teachings and my ideals were a close fit.  I didn't "join", I
>> more-or-less "am".
>
> Pete, isn't Buddhism more of a way of life and viewing
> the universe than a traditional religion?  I haven't
> studied Buddhism as much as the other religions, but
> what I've read sounded like there were a lot fewer
> restrictions placed on the individual with Buddhism.

Exactly.  It was quite a new way of thinking, many years before Christ
even.  Truly radical, as it saw all as equals, br they male, female,
rich, poor, etc.  Like most things, it has transmuted and adapted over
the years.  (There are different sects, and different trains of
thought.)  One nice thing is that nobody has ever been killed while
trying to convert them, as it kind of goes against the whole non-violent
thing.

I am more of a Mahayana Buddhist, as I believe in seeking enlightenment
as a path to aid all beings.  There are all sorts.  Interestingly
enough, although i oppose violence, I understand the necessity to kill
at times.  But, that's a whole different thread.

-Pete