[geeks] Glad I don't live in Texas!

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Jun 12 10:25:01 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 10:24:37AM -0400, Tim H. wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> > In some cases, religion and politics are the same thing.

Nah, in ALL cases they're the same.  They are methods of imposing one's
will on others.  This is particularly obvious with middle-eastern
religions.

> I don't think so, Religion, if properly applied, gives you a reason for
> life and what happens in it

If you mean that it gives you personally a reason for life, and you think
that you need a reason for life, then you should have used "me" instead of
"you".

> Politics, on the other hand, is just people arguing about who should
> tell other people what to do.  Religion is internal, politics is
> completely external.

Nonsense.  Politics has significant influences on religion, and vice versa.
You can't seperate them.  If your chosen superstition affects your
relationships with the rest of society, then it is political, and that's
ignoring the effect that secular society has on religion, political
influence wielded by religious organisations, the actions of religious
politicians, etc.

And of course religion has NOTHING AT ALL to do with people arguing about
who should tell other people what to do.  Definitely not.  No.

--
David Cantrell    |    Degenerate    |    http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

    It's my experience that neither users nor customers can articulate
    what it is they want, nor can they evaluate it when they see it
        -- Alan Cooper