[geeks] Glad I don't live in Texas!

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Wed Jun 12 10:15:58 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, June 12, 2002, at 07:55 , Tim H. wrote:

> First of all, elected officials are not supposed to follow the will of
> the people.  They are supposed to follow their own convictions.  We are
> (nominally) a republic, as opposed to a democracy.  If we were a
> democracy we would all get to vote on every law.

Ah, you and I differ on this.  I see it as "vote by proxy" as, while we
do elect someone to represent us, we are responsible for letting them
know how we wish specific issues to be addressed.  They are responsible
for ensuring that the will of the people is carried out.  However, we
have the special-interest lobbies that tend to distort this, and the
ever-present lure of ready $$.  IF I had my druthers, every Senator and
Congressperson would be provided with government housing, a stipend, and
not allowed to profit *at all* from their public service.

That's what it's supposed to be: Public Service, not self-service.  Our
current system does not promote that.  In addition, I would limit their
terms, but that's a whole othr can or worms.

> This is the original purpose of campaigns, a person tells the public
> what his foundational belifs/principles are, and the people get to vote
> if they want someone like that representing them.  The problem is that
> politicians attempt to vote the will of the people, but the "will of
> the people" they see is through the glass of PACs, SIGs, and the people
> who commision/right the polls.

See above.

> I personally would prefer leaders who were consistent with themslves,
> even if I disagree with them, because I can always vote against them
> next time.  The problem I have is so many politicians, regardless of
> affiliation, say one thing in the campaign, then do the opposite
> "because my constituents wanted it" They are not elected as a funnel
> for the people, they are elected as an independant representative.

I would prefer representatives who were less content with themselves,
and more intent on the common good.  You can't possibly think that Fritz
Hollings or Jessie Helms are really even considering what their
constituents want...

> I'd love to see a high level politician tell the press "I voted this
> way because I believe it is the right way, Even though the majority of
> my mail indicates people back home disagree, I told them my viewpoint
> in the campaign"

Then, are you serving the public, or yourself? Some ego is good, but too
much ego gets you into the sticky position of "knowing what's best."
Usually, that leads to some of the biggest problems we've had.  Take,
for example, the "war" in Vietnam.  Pretty damn unpopular here at home,
many good people lost their lives, and for what?  To fight the spread of
communism, and we failed.  In the mean time, domestic issues almost tore
us apart.  But the people involved knew best.

I'm not expecting my elected officials to be perfect.  Nobody is.  But,
I expect them to be responsible, and think of the will of the people and
the common good.  Our current system has evolved away from that goal,
and the few that are really trying to do a good job are being beaten
down by the amassed fortunes and influence of both parties and the
special interests.

-Pete