[geeks] Glad I don't live in Texas!

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed Jun 12 09:55:11 CDT 2002

First of all, elected officials are not supposed to follow the will of the people.  They are supposed to follow their own convictions.  We are (nominally) a republic, as opposed to a democracy.  If we were a democracy we would all get to vote on every law.

This is the original purpose of campaigns, a person tells the public what his foundational belifs/principles are, and the people get to vote if they want someone like that representing them.  The problem is that politicians attempt to vote the will of the people, but the "will of the people" they see is through the glass of PACs, SIGs, and the people who commision/right the polls.

I personally would prefer leaders who were consistent with themslves, even if I disagree with them, because I can always vote against them next time.  The problem I have is so many politicians, regardless of affiliation, say one thing in the campaign, then do the opposite "because my constituents wanted it" They are not elected as a funnel for the people, they are elected as an independant representative.

I'd love to see a high level politician tell the press "I voted this way because I believe it is the right way, Even though the majority of my mail indicates people back home disagree, I told them my viewpoint in the campaign"

Tim