Playstation thru O2 (was [geeks] Bad Juju tonite...)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jun 10 08:52:34 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 09:13:42AM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > I hear that you get bad results from that, but I'm not sure if that is
> > only when trying to record as you play or not.  Apparently, video game
> > consoles tend to play fast and loose with standards (not like anything
> > else we heard, yeah right).  I've heard it suggested that a TBC would
> > mostly fix it, but haven't tested that.
> >

> TBC?

Time Base Corrector.  Serves two purposes.  1) Sync multiple video
sources together. 2) repair damaged timecode.

Say that I had an A/B Roll editing system (2 playback VCRs, and A deck
and a B deck and a switcher of some sort, like a video toaster).
Then, if if the 2 VCRs are a half a frame off when you make a cut, you
will get funkiness on the screen.  You need all the VCRs to be in sync
for it to look correct (and to be broadcast acceptable).  At a
minimum, you at least need to fix the time code on the recorded copy.

> All I really want to do is turn the monitor into a TV so that I can play
> without taking over the TV.  I truly have no interest in recording - and
> showing people how much I suck at Syphon Filter...
>
> Logically it should work, no?  RCA out to the O2, start up the videoin
> app and play?

Well, it's not like to takes more than 5 minutes to try it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd