Height/Weight: Re: [geeks] quiet

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Jun 9 00:32:56 CDT 2002

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 04:29:56PM -0700, David Passmore wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 04:25:06PM -0700, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 8, 2002, at 07:59 AM, dave at cca.org wrote:
> >
> > > The 80s were somewhat bleak.
> >
> > Bleak?? BLEAK??  No, the 90's were Bleak.  The 80's had some good
> > tunes.  However, as Homer sez, "Everybody knows rock achieved perfection
> > in 1974."
>
> Amen. The 90s were basically grunge, and dozens of clones of Toad the Wet
> Sprocket.

I didn't care much for Toad the Wet Sprocket, but the early to mid
late 90s turned out a lot of stuff I like.  Hole, Nirvana, Smashing
Pumpkins, Ballydowse, My Brothers Mother, Tori Amos, Grammatrain,
Sarah McLaughlin.

Things really slowed down in the late 90s, and have been slow since in
my book.

Overall, I thought the 80s was pretty bad, even though a lot of good
music came from it also.  Metallica, the 77s, and Stevey Ray Vaughn
being three things that I believe mainly got started then.

Still, the greatest time in many ways was probably the sixtys and
seventies.  Hendrix, Muddy Waters, Daniel Amos, Larry Norman, and so
many countless other groups that really paved the way for the rest
since then.

--
Joshua D. Boyd