[geeks] scsi notebook drives

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Sat Jun 8 18:36:04 CDT 2002

On Saturday, June 8, 2002, at 12:36 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Just in my book I'd rather try and put Quadra's to real use rather
> than actually use a IIfx due to expensive ram and wierd scsi.
> Personally, I'd love to get a stack of Quadra 950s, and perhaps
> another 840av, when I have more space.  At least one 950 should hold a
> macivoryIII setup, and another should hold an avid avr70 capable
> setup.

I got 32M of IIfx RAM for $16, and I have *never* has SCSI issues with
one.  If you use quality terminators, you shouldn't.  The real problem
was that there were some gnarly SCSI drives back then... Ah, memories...

> BTW, was the 68040 such a minor upgrade that a 40mhz 68030 is faster
> than a 33mhz 68040, because that is the only way I'd think a claim
> that the IIfx was the fastest till the 840av could be supported.

I think they mean clock speed only, as a 25MHz Q700 is clearly faster,
by over a factor of two.

I also remember the introduction of the Quadras - they were really nice,
I loved the Q900, later the 950.  That was a monster mac in every way.

However, the one with the most impact (that I can remember) was the
SE/30.  EVERY geek in college wanted one, as you had more horsepower
than a Sun 3/50 in a compact mac.  It could also take 128M of RAM, which
was amazing for *any* system of the day...

-Pete