[geeks] Info for Cheap/Acceptable PC upgrades

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Fri Jun 7 01:54:37 CDT 2002

Andrew Weiss wrote:

> Maybe he's talking about Windows ME... Win2K is an NT system which by
> default is better than a DOS based system for stability and security.
> They still are not in any bit the same league with UNIX systems, however.
>
> Win ME blows serious goat balls.

I've ran Win95, Win95 OSR2, Win98 and (now) Win98SE. I've heard alot
about WinME sucking Major Goat Balls(tm), but I gave it a chance just to
try it out. I'll tell you, whatever you do, don't do it.
Man, all kinds of things just stopped working. Random crashes, shit-ass
performance (even degrading over time) and all kinds of weird stuff.
(Even more than the usual Windows-crackhead-stuff) I tried it on another
machine, and it worked just as bad there. A couple of friends of mine
told me the same thing, so we're all back to Win98SE again.

Oh, I've never given the though of installing WinNT/2000 at home, cause
I don't see the point in it. If I want to fool around with user
management, policy rights and all that stuff, I can do that at work. No
need for that stuff at home.
OK, I'll give WinXP a shot now when the new PC arrives, but that's
primarly because I'm curious of it, and gaming seems to be pretty stable
on WinXP.

Why am I not running *NIX at home? Heh, I have Linux, IRIX, Tru64, SCO,
HP-(s)UX and all that stuff at work, so I don't have the slightest need
for it. :-)

--
Vnliga hlsningar/Best Regards
Bjrn Ramqvist, Hgglunds Vehicle AB