Height/Weight: Re: [geeks] quiet

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Thu Jun 6 13:41:01 CDT 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> No it doesn't... Being overweight because of a poor lifestyle increases
> the risk of health problems...

The same is true for those who are *underweight*, particularly women. Side
by side, a 200lb 5'10" woman--that weight is considered 'obese'--of
average build next to a 140lb 5'10" woman  (thats governmental suggestion)
shows a lot. The larger woman is likely to have far less problems in the
long run than the smaller one, physically and mentally, once out of grade
school.

> concluded if anything.  To your second point... So what.  It's actually
> known that being larger as a woman decreases risk of some cancers
> (increases others ... mostly due to tumors being slightly more difficult
> to detect... but some of that could be due to the shoddy health care
> women receive versus men) ovarian I believe... as well as decreased risk
> of osteoporosis.

Underweight women run the risk of ovarian, uterine, and cervical cancers
because when a woman is too small, her hormones get fouled up and she
stops menstruating. Of course, when she gains weight, this all changes and
whatever risks associated with return to 'normal' factors as her cycle
restarts. Same with osteoporosis, risk of heart attacks, etc.

> It's because of doctors like that that most young women can't grow up
> normally without being traumatized by their doctor, family, friends,
> etc.

Noooo shit. I *still* have a large hate woody for this complete asshole
named Geoff (not you, Geoff) who used to taunt me in the 7th grade for
being a foot taller than he was and only slightly smaller breasts than he
had :P.

Am I bitter? No. Not at all. ;)

--a