Height/Weight: Re: [geeks] quiet

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Jun 6 13:18:28 CDT 2002

On Thursday, June 6, 2002, at 11:16 AM, Mike Meredith wrote:

> Not quite. Being overweight greatly increases the risk of certain
> life-threatening conditions. And a huge proportion of the western world
> is overweight.

No it doesn't... Being overweight because of a poor lifestyle increases
the risk of health problems... Being larger than average (can't quite
call it overweight because that would be a misnomer for the point I'm
trying to make) and exercising regularly as well as eating right causes
zero increase in health problems... Over and over in medical journals if
you read them correctly the conclusions are drawn by the media or those
sponsoring a study and have very little to do with what the researchers
concluded if anything.  To your second point... So what.  It's actually
known that being larger as a woman decreases risk of some cancers
(increases others ... mostly due to tumors being slightly more difficult
to detect... but some of that could be due to the shoddy health care
women receive versus men) ovarian I believe... as well as decreased risk
of osteoporosis.

> It seems unlikely. You seem to be assuming that you're right and the
> doctors are wrong. Well doctors certainly can make mistakes, but so can
> you.

Yes... so consult multiple doctors... if possible... consult a doctor
who is size-positive.

>> the mouth right there! Jordan is nowhere near overweight, and anyone
>> with half a brain could tell that she's got an enormous muscle/bone
>
> Do you *really* want to gamble with your daughter's future health that
> you're right and they're wrong ? You may be right, but if it was me,
> I'd want to be *damm* sure that was the case before rejecting the
> advice of a health care professional who should know more about it than
> myself.

It's because of doctors like that that most young women can't grow up
normally without being traumatized by their doctor, family, friends,
etc.  The only time if there ever is a time to fool with someone's
metabolism is after they've stopped growing.

Andrew