[geeks] Dynamic files / filesystems?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jun 6 09:05:47 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 03:00:47PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 09:48:42AM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > A 100gb IDE drive?  Yuck.  23gig SCSI drives are dirt cheap.  4 will
> > cost less than 1 100gig IDE drive.
>
> Where from?  Also consider that you now have three more points of failure,
> and a lot more heat, as well as the lack of drive bays (and power) you
> mention.
>
> > OK, that is some interesting stuff there.  But, I wouldn't feel safe
> > using it.  Unfortunately, this is exactly the sort of thing where a
> > tool like perlfs would come in handy, but complaints against perl
> > aside, perlfs is still in pretty bad shape.
>
> perlfs is, AFAICT, no longer worked on.  It is therefore WAY out of sync
> with the recent Linux kernels.

For a dedicated server, just being out of sync with current kernels
isn't too bad.  You just would need to run an older one.  But, perlfs
didn't look like it was really in a place to be used for much of
anything.  Its too bad.  I've said it before, and I'll probably say it
again, but I think that numerous custom file systems are a good idea.

But then, I also thought the BeFS was really cool.

--
Joshua D. Boyd