[geeks] scsi notebook drives

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jun 5 00:08:28 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 07:15:51PM -0700, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> >My biggest Mac is an PM8500/120, Which is on my desk primarily to
> >represent Apple, but also because I like iCab, and use it as an HTML
> >validator, but since I seem to have some spare time without any spare
> >money I am attempting to go through the backlog of "someday" machines
> >and bring as many as possible to life.
>
> 8500's are fun, you can make 'em G3's for under $100 these days.

The same can be said for 6500s and 8100s.

I have a new dream for a project someday.

A color classic, modded to take a 6500 motherboard.  Throw in a G3
upgrade, and a Geforce2MX.  Run dual headed.  Then things become
trickier.  Do you go with a good scsi card, or a USB card?  Given the
low memory limit, the good scsi card could mean a major speed boost,
but USB allows cheap peripherals like digital cameras, scanners, etc.

I find it very tempting.  If only I had more money.  If the right G3
upgrade was used, one might even be able to run OS X on the setup.

--
Joshua D. Boyd