[geeks] another linux issue....

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Jan 31 22:34:40 CST 2002

[ On Thursday, January 31, 2002 at 20:03:07 (-0500), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] another linux issue....
>
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 07:56:06PM -0500, dave at cca.org wrote:
>
> > This fits in with my one-liner description of the difference between
> > linux and BSD: "Linux is an undergrad unix clone, BSD is a grad
> > student unix clone. All differences derive from that."
>
> That would sound more convincing if linus didn't do his thing as a grad
> student.

I too thought he was an undergrad when he got started at it.....  He
began in 1991 with 0.02, and 1.0 was released in 1994.

Ah, yes, here we go -- he was a second-year student in 1991.

from <URL:http://ragib.hypermart.net/linux/>:

   In 1991, Linus Benedict Torvalds was a second year student of
   Computer Science at the University of Helsinki and a self-taught
   hacker.  The 21 year old sandy haired soft-spoken Finn loved to
   tinker with the power of the computers and the limits to which the
   system can be pushed.  But all that was lacking was an operating
   system that could meet the demands of the professionals.  MINIX was
   good, but still it was simply an operating system for the students,
   designed as a teaching tool rather than an industry strength one.

--
								Greg A. Woods