[geeks] another linux issue....

Grant Diffey nevyn-packrat at bovine.artificial-stupidity.net
Thu Jan 31 18:18:03 CST 2002

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 05:46:51PM -0500, dave at cca.org wrote:
> Something weird about Linux I'd forgotten about...
>
> When I first heard about this, I thought it was a joke. Then I saw
> a few more references to it, and I'm beginning to think it might be
> true, even though it's so hard to believe. So maybe someone here
> can confirm/deny:
>
> Does Linus refuse to let a kernel debugger be developed?
> I read that he thinks that using a symbolic debugger makes for a
> sloppy programmer, and it's a crutch which weakens its user.

not exactly true linux kernel debuggers have been developed. linus can't stop that.
AC uses one apparently.  What linus can and does do is stop a kernel debugger getting
in the main linux tree that gets distributed

> This is obviously so stupid it's embarassing even for his
> enemies, but can it actually be true?
Sigh. it's true. this is why I run AC kernels. linus is a control freak

Other linux issues:

Audio. (OSS sucks)
Linus won't pulicise his cvs tree

Good things on the way tho:
export_symbols_gpl (this is a good thing)
very extensive hardware "support" (sometimes it takes some screwwing around but usually it works)

Conclusion

recently there was an episode of southpark shown here where mr garrison invented "IT" which
was advertised as "IT.. is better than dealing with the airlines"

this is how I view linux. it's no BSD I probably should learn bsd and convert the fileservers
here to freebsd.. but. "IT.. is better than dealing with windows"

--
Grant Diffey aka "nevyn"

President of Computerbank Victoria Inc.
http://www.computerbank.org.au/