[geeks] Little Kids + Unix

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Wed Jan 30 12:54:49 CST 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 06:39:53AM +0000, Kris Kirby wrote:

> According to my boss, I'm an "average" worker. This is interesting to me,
> because he's overlooked the fact that I haven't returned from a single
> break on-time since I started working in the coating room. That and being
> a quick learner, etc. I picked up a new skill in three days when it takes
> most people seven. He forgot these things though...
>
> After the performance review, I felt like Wally from Dilbert: "Woah. I
> better lay down until the motivation lays off."

I too have always been 'average' on performance reviews. I discovered that
on reviews it doesn't matter how much valuable work you produce or how much
money you save the company, it matters how many hours you work or whether
you come in early. I think some managers think that giving their best
workers an average rating will encourage them to work as much as 'John' over
in the corner cube-- you know, the guy who works 14 hour days, comes in 2
hours early, and who produces a steady stream of work, but it's nothing very
valuable. In fact, it's usually mediocre.

They never stop to think that giving a worker this rating will rarely
encourage them to work harder... rather, it'll anger them in the long run.

David