[geeks] *DROOL*

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jan 30 00:46:34 CST 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 11:10:47PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 January 2002 22:41, you wrote:
> > On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 11:04, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > ext3 will definately be in 2.6 (which is a minimum of 18 months
> > > away I'd guess).  It also might be added to the 2.4 series yet.
>
> They're talking about a code freeze in Sept., so it might not be *that*
> long until 2.6 (but I've heard that before).

Haven't we all?

> > > ext3 is bootable. Personally, I'm waiting for reiserfs to stablize,
>
> It isn't stable ? I've been using it in production on a web proxy
> server (100Gbyte filesystem) with no problems, and a cache filesystem
> is a pretty good filesystem stress test.

Well, some people have good luck, but others are having unbelievable trouble
(my school wanted to use it on a WebCT server and found bugs in it that they
submitted.  They got fixed, but the school was shaken enough to go back to
ext2 for now).  Plus, the change log isn't so reassuring.  Rieserfs has to be
really, really stable for me to consider moving my file server to it.  I
probably would consider ext3 currently, but the next time I do something so
major to my file server, I intend to be moving it to NetBSD and using their
software mirroring and their journaling equiv. system.

--
Joshua D. Boyd