[geeks] *DROOL*

Mike Meredith hmv at meredithm.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 17:10:47 CST 2002

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 22:41, you wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 11:04, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > ext3 will definately be in 2.6 (which is a minimum of 18 months
> > away I'd guess).  It also might be added to the 2.4 series yet.

They're talking about a code freeze in Sept., so it might not be *that*
long until 2.6 (but I've heard that before).

> > ext3 is bootable. Personally, I'm waiting for reiserfs to stablize,

It isn't stable ? I've been using it in production on a web proxy
server (100Gbyte filesystem) with no problems, and a cache filesystem
is a pretty good filesystem stress test.

> > and XFS also looks kinda nice.

It ought to be considering where it comes from. I have heard of minor
problems using it for web cache filesystems though (at least under
Linux).

> I thought that ext3 was in the latest 2.4.x kernels.  I don't follow
> that closely, though...

I don't think it was in 2.4.4 that I compiled yesterday, but it's
available as a patch, and distributors may include it in their custom
kernels.