[geeks] Re: [rescue] OpenBSD

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Mon Jan 28 16:23:37 CST 2002

On 28 Jan 2002, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> > Am I the only one who thinks it's okay if the big techie types aren't
> > friendly to all the newbies?  A lot of the people getting flamed are

> No.

> > showing up and asking basic questions that are in the FAQ or just post
> > something like "I tried installing on my IPX and it didn't work".  No
> > details as to what release or even how it "didn't work".

> Sure, but I got flamed over a TYPO.  I was off by one character, didn't
> see the typo in quick perusal, and the dude took the time to reply
> saying "I don't have time to answer your stupid question, read the
> FAQ".  It would, quite literally, have taken him half the time to type
> "are you sure you mean slice c?"

Okay...  I'm not saying some of the stuff isn't out of line... I KNOW
Theo is quick on the trigger...  I was just observing that some of it
seems to try and get it.  I mean, Theo is supposed to have this HUGE
rep for going off on people... I'd think that would discourage some of
the questions that are right out of the FAQ...

> The man pages for OpenBSD are very good, but the OpenBSD FAQ isn't
> particularly impressive.  As far as I can tell, there isn't much
> documentation outside of those resources.

I guess I haven't pored over every part of the FAQ, but it's coverage of
some of the obscure features (packet filter, IPSec) seemed decent to me.

--Kurt