[geeks] Re: [rescue] OpenBSD

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Mon Jan 28 16:07:24 CST 2002

On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 07:49, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> On 27 Jan 2002, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>
> > Absolutely.  Maybe we should start an "openbsdhelp.org" site, where
> > there are FRIENDLY people giving out openbsd advice?  I use it a lot,
> > and love it, but those guys on the lists (except Big Mike) are total
> > Assholes.  It's not just Theo, either.
>
> Am I the only one who thinks it's okay if the big techie types aren't
> friendly to all the newbies?  A lot of the people getting flamed are

No.

> showing up and asking basic questions that are in the FAQ or just post
> something like "I tried installing on my IPX and it didn't work".  No
> details as to what release or even how it "didn't work".

Sure, but I got flamed over a TYPO.  I was off by one character, didn't
see the typo in quick perusal, and the dude took the time to reply
saying "I don't have time to answer your stupid question, read the
FAQ".  It would, quite literally, have taken him half the time to type
"are you sure you mean slice c?"

The man pages for OpenBSD are very good, but the OpenBSD FAQ isn't
particularly impressive.  As far as I can tell, there isn't much
documentation outside of those resources.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.