[geeks] HP 9150i cdrw.

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Jan 27 23:37:16 CST 2002

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 11:19:00PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 12:17:38AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>> Anyone try these?  I think HPs are considered good for CD-RWs.  I've used on
>> under Windows NT4 at school, but not this model, and never any IDE under
>> linux, but some reviews state that it is unofficially supported.
>
> The HP USB stuff is good.

That might be doable.

I've been putting off getting a CD-RW for years.  Then, I wanted to get a nice
plextor in a 411 case, but now I need something that will work under linux
and windows, and is cheap from a local store since I need it NOW (well, by
Wednesday really) so that I can have 1+ cds burned and ready to go by Friday.

If I spend around a hundred dollars and it works, then I won't feel to bad if
it doesn't work on anything other than Windows since I can buy a better one
latter.  Due to lack of linux info on USB drives I'm leaning towards IDE
internal (slap it in sisters computer for time being), but still haven't
finalized on anything.

On doing further research, I find that HP switched suppliers midstream through
production of the 9150i.  Early ones are Sony, later ones LG (apparently not
supported by some programs).  But, it appears I can get it from wallmart for
under $70 (local choices mainly consist of babbages, staples, wallmart,
circuit city, or electronics beutiq.  Why o why did I wait till I was
desperate and could wait for a nice one to be shipped to me?).  HP's web site
says that it comes with DirectCD, which I liked at school.  It also states that
it requires a 200mhz machine.  The intended target machine is a 166.  I'm
hoping that this is close enough.  I can live with it if the drive only works
at 4 or 6 speed due to slow CPU speed.  Or, maybe I have a spare P200 to
through it in.

If the drive is decent, I can explore USB casings for it later.

Oh, the urgent project is for making audio CDs.

--
Joshua D. Boyd