[geeks] Thoughts RE: Hardware

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Jan 22 14:46:30 CST 2002

I have just started to bring my machines online.  I was trying to get my
Quadra 840AV set up last night with Debian 2.2r3.  I have 2 1GB drives in
the thing, and 48 MB RAM.  I feel really dumb now, because my other
motherboard was probably OK (at least ethernet-wise, though it still seems
to make the bongos noise a lot), if you connected the machine to my old
hub (it was fast ethernet only...for some reason I thought it was 10/100),
you got no MAC address, so I assumed the card was busted.  I now have two
working ethernet adapters in it... an Asante MC3NB 8390 and the built-in.
Debian only sees the 8390 since I'm using the stock kernel.

Question's are:

1. What's a really good testing tool that can be had for free for 68K
macs... ala Apple's MacTest Pro or Micromat's Techtools?

2. (related to 1), The machine is ok in OS 8.1, but it randomly crashes in
Linux... should I...

A. Suspect bad RAM and run a tester for that
B. Install NetBSD instead
C. Both of the above
D. Install another OS

Andrew

There are, of course, thousands of people who claim to be sys admins who
have the single "skill" of working it out from a gui tool. Ask these people
to move 500 users accounts or 300 virtual hosts from one machine to another
and they are as useful as chocolate firemen. -- Anonymous Coward on Slashdot
8/15/01

UNIX and cigarettes, both addictive and both contain tar.